Here’s how this one is coming together. On August 14th, I started drafting 1-page breakdowns for each of the six issues in this mini-series. On the 29th, I liked how the breakdowns were shaping up and began fleshing out the first issue. It came out to be 5 pages long. I printed out this document on September 2nd to reference while designing page layouts in a sketchbook. The issue breakdowns were revised 7 times, the last time on September 4th.
On this day, I also started building the page layouts in Illustrator, as I have done for previous books. The layouts and the narrative continue to evolve during this step. Some things are dropped to be included in later issues, others continue to be edited to work with the panel designs. I’ve got 3 versions of my issue 1 document. It saves me the trouble of having to remember how I wrote something the first or second time. In my mind, nothing is final until the files have been sent to the printer.
This first issue is SDH’s origin story. I’m pretty happy with what’s being established here. I want my protagonist soft in ways people can relate to, and strong in ways that we’d want to expect from our heroes. I’m currently reworking SDH’s heroic debut to the city of Mammapolis. I’ve got a few ideas, but find myself a bit unsure of which one to pick, seeing how they do or don’t fit into this world I’m creating. So I’m going back to what I’ve already written, to see what feels natural, to see what makes sense.