This was my most ambitious project to date. I spent months on world building, character histories and outlined the lives of several characters through an epic story. My goal was to make a multi-issue comic book series. I established a reasonable schedule to write, drawn and publish each issue.

I also wanted to try something new, at least new for me. I created the panel compositions, with narration boxes, in Adobe Illustrator. And then I printed them out and drew all the panel art and speech bubbles and sound effects in by hand. It was an interesting experience to take a more traditional approach. I hoped to have final, complete pages that I could sell at shows, but the drawing process became much more stressful, especially when I messed up a panel here or there and needed to replace it.

The first issue was self-published in 2013.

It wasn’t until I had the first issue out and was preparing to start on the second that I noticed some problems. Big problems. The first issue established defining details about the city of Mammapolis and my protagonist that limited the potential impact of the story. What I had could have been good, but I wanted it to be great. So I decided to shelve the project until I was able to rework the story to make it the best it can be.